Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Breakdance

Huzzah!  I have succeeded in making a workable breakdown. It was a bigger deal than usual, since the style of the script needed special tending to find a breakdown that both made sense and was executable.  I did not find a miracle way to rehearse out of sequence, however there are a few segments that can be seen as stand-alone.  Going into auditions tomorrow knowing that I will need most of the cast for most of the rehearsals daunts me, and not for the first time I wish we were just able to be paying for everyone's time so I could make all sorts of complex demands.  The joy and agony of a community theatre is that in the best situations, everyone who comes to the table takes their seat from a personal sense of art.  This can mean you have a team who understands and embraces the project as a valuable way to spend their creative time.  But once we've all spent the time allotted for "making rent" and "feeding oneself and any other dependents", there is usually precious little time remaining for the art-making. Then trying to bring together ten people...ergh.

Someday I will wake up in the middle of the night with a brilliant way to pay everyone for their creative work as well as for their drudge tasks. It will be a complete funding model that doesn't depend on fickle governments or immovable corporations. Someday.

But I have strayed from the point: Script breakdown complete! Congratulations Me! Pat self on back and act generally self-satisfied! Bask in the moment before you shoulder down and power through the audition assessment lists and props lists and costume lists and lx lists and....and...and...

Back to the high art salt mines I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment