Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Second Night

After two nights of auditions, I am amazed at how my visual notions of the show are already kaleidoscoping with each prospective cast member.  Usually I have a firmer set of requirements and have a necessarily narrower focus by the time I am reading actors.  The creation aspects of this show require me to stay very loose and flexible when it comes to building the company.  Instead of looking for the right person, in many cases I am looking for the right company member, which means I am looking for a team.  Until callbacks, I am sitting alone in the house imagining teams of people, most of whom I met once for less than ten minutes.  This is a strange process.  But I am very thankful for the quality of performers who were attracted to this script.  It bodes well for an exciting process. 

Speaking of thankfulness, the intrepid producers are already up to their elbows in organizing and setting up the process for me and my merry band of lunatics.  Last night they had the chance to be in the audition hall, which was nice as it can be a bit lonely in the house by myself.  I hope the additional creative team members ease the tension and nerves for the actors coming in. 

Saturday promises to be a long and exciting day.  Just looking at the list I get jittery from all the caffeine I plan to consume while I meet so many new people.  Incidentally, if you are reading this and planning to crash, I recommend coming in the afternoon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment