Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

The Fear

As I type this brief intro to our project, I am struck with fear.  

I hear you asking already, "But what can you possibly fear, o fearless leader? You get the driver's seat, gripping the wheel as you pivot and dip through corkscrew turns and blind corners."

The thing about the driver's seat?  You have to drive the d%^m thing.  And when the vehicle in question is as beautiful, complex, technically challenging and emotionally draining as this thing of ours, I think fear is an appropriate response. 

It's cool though.  It's the good kind of rollercoaster fear, not the "about to get your limbs hacked off by a jigsaw" sort.  This is the feeling that will keep me up at night dreaming solutions.  This fear is currently motivating me to spend an inordinate amount of time deciding how best to divide the script into rehearsal segments. It will also lead me to run tight and searching auditions, knowing full well I am asking those actors to embark on a truly demanding creative journey.  This is not the "learn your lines" kind of actor challenge.  I need to build a team who will build a world. 

So fear not, gentle readers.  That's my job. 


No comments:

Post a Comment